Vacuum Tube Data Sheet Library
The majority of pre-amp tubes are dual triodes. That means they have two independent gain stages within each tube. The exception is the EF86, which is a single stage pentode (note this has a different pin configuration). The most popular tube is the 12AX7, which has a gain factor of 100. However, it may not be the most appropriate tube, depending upon the type of sound/tone you're looking for.
Note that our PCBs are designed to use dual triode tubes in the pre-amp stage.
Usually a "W" designation means that the tube was designed to withstand heavy shock and vibration in industrial and military settings.
- RCA 5751 (Gain=70)
- TungSol 5751WA (MilSpec / Gain=70)
- GE 7025 (MilSpec 12AX7 equivalent)
- RCA 7025 (MilSpec 12AX7 equivalent)
- TungSol 12AT7 (Gain=60)
- GE 12AU7 (Gain=20)
- Marconi B339 / 12AX7 (Gain=100)
- GE 12AX7 (Gain=100)
- GE 12AY7 (Gain=45)
- Telefunken ECC803S (European Low Noise 12AX7 equivalent)
- RFT ECC83 (European 12AX7 equivalent)
- Mullard EF86 (Gain=150+)
- Telefunken EF806S